Position Title: Associate, Communications
Reports to: Senior Manager, Communications
Directly Supervises: N/A
Are you a well-rounded, detail-oriented, creative communications professional looking for a fulfilling role that will allow you to work in a busy, innovative nonprofit communications shop?
We are looking for a thinker/doer— someone with the passion, creativity, basic knowledge, and a desire to learn. We want a self-starter who will play an integral role in helping to drive the organization’s communications efforts forward to support our vital mission of inspiring young people to navigate their path to their own American Dream.
This position is ideal for a communications professional with 1-2 years of experience with an interest or background in marketing, communications, design, or social media. We are looking for an individual who knows how to get the job done and isn’t afraid to try something new and do it smarter than before. A strong writer with an eye for design and a sense of humor is a must. We need someone who thinks outside the box.
Reporting to the Senior Communications Manager and serving as an passionate member of the team, the Communications Associate will directly support Junior Achievement of Greater Washington’s communications strategy and brand reputation, working on multiple projects simultaneously, including public relations, social media, web presence and other products, including: marketing materials; e-news and other online communications; media relations; event marketing; and, management of the Junior Achievement® Essay Competition.
This is an exciting opportunity for an early-career communications professional to work collaboratively with a mission-driven team. You will have the opportunity to own projects, grow and share your knowledge, and help shape how Junior Achievement tells its story.
- Organize and manage the annual Junior Achievement Essay Competition
- Manage JA of Greater Washington’s website and social media, creating and updating content, crafting and scheduling posts, and conducting digital communications.
- Create appealing visuals and graphics for both online and offline outreach
- Help implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance JA of Greater Washington’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences
- Support marketing/public relations strategy that will allow JA of Greater Washington leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers
- Support development of all JA of Greater Washington print communications including program, development, and event marketing materials
- Assist in the development of electronic communications, including JA of Greater Washington’s online annual report as well as bi-monthly Greater Washington Futures e-newsletter and Board of Directors Updates
- Maintain and update JA of Greater Washington contact database and distribution lists
- Support communications needs of JA of Greater Washington operations, program, and development teams
- Other duties as assigned by Management or Senior Communications Manager
- Bachelor’s degree plus internship OR 1-2 years of experience in a communications role in-house, at an agency, or with a government organization/agency
- Experience in digital and social media; demonstrated ability growing and engaging audiences preferred
- Interest in, or experience with, writing for a broad range of audiences
- Interest in, or experience with, short web video production
- Expertise in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Cloud Suites
- Understanding of brand management
- Strong design skills and demonstrated experience designing communications materials
- Creative problem-solver with close attention to detail
- Organized with an ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Ability/willingness to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker/doer
- A sense of humor, a collaborative spirit, and a passion for Junior Achievement’s mission
- Experience with Squarespace website builder
- Experience with Hootsuite or similar social media management platform
- Experience working with an e-mail marketing platform
- Knowledge of Search Engine Optimization and best practices
To apply for this position, please email your resume, cover letter, and one writing sample and/or portfolio to Brea.Neri@JA.org. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.